Thursday, November 09, 2006

Name call #1: Greetune

'Greetune' is a brand name for Etisalat's ringback tunes. I believe it's one of the best names I have come across for a ringback tone. As you're probably well aware, ringback tones are that thing your callers hear when they call you. They can be downloaded from the net and come in many varieties. They're usually songs from popular culture. When I had to come up with a campaign for ringback tones, one of the challenges I faced was finding a way to communicate what the product was without going into lines of explanations about it - like this. (After all, who has the time or the space for copy.) When I had to come up with a campaign for 'Greetunes', it was a cinch. The brand name described the service beautifully.

All this to say when you have to come up with a brand name for any service, try and think neologisms or compund words. They are new, memorable and familiar. And that, I believe, is the perfect recipe for a good brand name.

No comments: