Friday, November 10, 2006

A few words on copy. Thankfully.

Is it just my imagination or has advertising gone increasingly visual? This isn't something new. The last five years or so, has been a golden age for 'visual driven' advertising. Everywhere I look, I see visual puns, I see visual tricks, I see visuals, visuals and more visuals. I also see very little copy. Copywriters seem to have stopped having fun with words. The puns have gone out of the window. The great lines are non-existent. Art Directors are becoming their own copywriters. Why? Is it because we're in an age where looks matter more? Where what you see is what you say? Where the advent of digital technology has turned us into a visual dependent people?

Where time is short and attention spans decreasing, fine copywriting will take the backseat. We want our information quickly. A visual does that better than lovingly crafted words. It isn't just my imagination. Copywriting is dead. Copysupporting rules.

No comments: